Tuesday, March 3, 2015

March 3, 2015 Just when you thought it was safe............

I took this photo, yesterday morning, of my yard critters sharing.  It was such a nice, peaceful scene.....had to do it.  Wouldn't it be nice if everybody could share!  However, I am still always amazed that more of the squirrels don't get stepped on.  With all my watching, I have only seen one squirrel get its tail stepped on by a deer.  Believe me, that squirrel got frantic and it wasn't going anywhere for a few seconds.....until that deer moved.
I do enjoy all my critters .........
However.........last night, 5:30, it was time to start on final prep for our evening meal.  Just before I do that, I go down in the basement and take Toby out that door and around the house we go for a walkabout before supper time so he can do his business.  He likes to sleep in the basement where it is cooler and does it a lot.  It is easier on him, in his older age, to go out the basement and come in on top.  I was just off the northwest corner of the house with him trailing along behind me......on our way to the windbreak on the north side of the house for a loop thru........when I saw a timber wolf by the compost bin!!!  Let me tell you, I and Toby did an about face mighty fast with him wondering what the heck!  I hadn't seen sign of one in almost 2 months up here.  So, to have one standing that close to the house and maybe 20 yards from me was a bit disconcerting.  I had actually just been looking around before I took him out as something had scared the deer and they had run east and south and were standing around the perimeters keeping watch.  But, they hadn't come back into the feeding area.  They had done so about 4:45 too.  But, I just took a quick look around and didn't see anything.  That is the time the bus brings the school kids home and they sometimes do a lot of hooting and yelling when they get home.  Wolf howls out of the kids aren't uncommon.  They're little.  What do they know.  With feeding the deer there too......you would think they might get a clue.
Anyway, the wolf made its way off, probably the same way it came in....probably on my ski trail.  With more snow all the time and the wolves running on the ice........I just hadn't expected to see it there........out of the blue, with no warning.  I don't know why.  Since we had been having this "discussion" with the wolves about what belonged to who and what space belonged to who.....I was kind of thinking it was settled.  They had been staying away.  I guess it shows you should never let your guard down where they are concerned.
Won't happen again.......
Just recently, or snowshoe group got together, as we do once a month, and went snowshoeing.  We had a wonderful day doing that and Betsy got to have some social time with other people.  This was good!  She had as much fun as the rest of us.  Then, off to the store for coffee! ......and more socializing.  :)
Here is a picture of Betsy, yesterday, out enjoying the ice pilings on Lake Superior.  Toby, Betsy and I spent over 2 hours on the shore and ice yesterday.  It was a beautiful day and so was the ice.  The wind was a bit stiff........but, the sun makes all the difference.  We never know how long we have to enjoy that ice.......so, we do so while the going is good.
Here is a shot from a different bay a few days earlier.  You can see Toby and Betsy are having a great time.  For an older dog.....nothing like a bit of hard snow on the ice for good footing and easy traveling.  It's always enjoyable to be out with the dogs.
This day, I had taken photos of the very fresh wolf tracks on the ice when I was out there.  Shortly after I got back and dogs loaded and left........two wolves came by following our trail.  Nice feeling.  I often wonder, for all the wolves I do see, how many I don't!
Since we ended up with dogs as much as wolves, I will end with one of Betsy at sundown.  I am in an icicle cave, looking out.  Toby was laying on the rocks on shore.  It was another one of those beautiful days with a gorgeous ending.
Since I always do things with my faithful companions along......I have to always be vigilant.  The wolves and I have quite this relationship.   Love to look at them......don't mind seeing them......in someplace besides my yard.  I have never done anything to make them feel welcome there as they don't intend to peacefully share anything with anyone else.  So it goes.  Some days are like that!

1 comment:

  1. Such gorgeous photos! We've had a very large timber wolf in our area all winter. We've seen him (?) numerous times (when we were inside) and see his tracks a lot in fresh snow.

    ReplyDelete