Wednesday, February 18, 2015

More winter weather......on the way! February 18, 2015

We have had enough cold weather recently to set some ice on Lake Superior.  Ice on the big lake is always fun!  Yesterday, the dogs (Betsy above) and I explored some of it.  This was Betsy's first time on the ice and let me tell you.........she loved it.  Toby was more like ~ been there, done that!   He just laid on a big rock on shore and watched.  I crawled into the icicle cave I took this photo from (and several more) and tried to coax Betsy in.  She was having none of that!  Toby never liked coming in those ice caves much either.  I still am not too sure why.  Anyway, I got some gorgeous shots from inside the cave.  I wish it faced a different direction.  I am pretty sure I can't get either sunrise or sunset colors from it.
Today, it was my usual Wednesday morning Scrabble game with my mom.  We quite enjoy that.  I am a Scrabble fan from way back.  It is always fun to watch what is going on on the bay on Lake Superior while playing too.  Nothing today.  The wolves have started roaming the ice, now that it is safe.......so, I did come prepared with a long lens for the camera today, just in case.  Nothing!  So, after the game, I took Betsy and Toby down on the lake ice and off we went.  We walked over to the old fish house spot on the west side of the bay and back for our adventure today.  It was still -8 below 0 with a stiff wind........so, I didn't even take my camera.  I was going to be out in the wide open spaces and there wasn't too much to photograph today anyway.  Maybe another day......not quite so cold on the fingers!
Here is a shot from inside that icicle cave I crawled into yesterday.  It was pretty cool and had some really nice aquamarine colors going on in there.  It is always fun to see what has formed on the inside of these.  It seems like they are always a bit different.  This one really had a lot of icicles in it, as you can see.  I will probably go back over there in a couple of days when it is just a little bit warmer on the chance I can get some color on one end of the day or the other.
At any rate, the dogs will have a fine adventure.  They always enjoy something new.
I think that the "town" trip this week will give them a new adventure too as some of the spots have ice and pilings now.  I haven't seen them yet, but I have heard that.  With luck......maybe see one of the wolves people are seeing out on the ice too.  It's always nicer to see them when the dogs are safe and sound in the car than meeting them on a corner on a woods trail.......that's for sure.  But......that's a whole other issue.

Here is one more from our yesterday ice trip to enjoy.  I will leave some of the "issues" for another day.  Just fun stuff today......since it is the season for it.

5 comments:

  1. You always make a good point for getting "out." One would never see (or photograph) the gorgeous scenery you do if you didn't go out exploring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your photos are real treats! Thank you. And can I ask what the ice is hanging from to make the ice cave? I'm not familiar with the shoreline up there but maybe it's rock outcroppings and the water flows off of them making icicles and then ice caves? I have heard it's quite a "noise" to hear when the lake starts melting. The crashing onto the rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The icicles are made by waves splashing from the lake and by water melting and dripping off the big rocks. I was surprised at how big this ice cave got for the shape of the rocks and so little overhang. There are always surprises out there. But, yes, this was an amazing little cave for the location.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. Winter is one of my favorite times of the year of photography. I do have a web site. http://sandra-updyke.fineartamerica.com if you would like to see some of my other photos some time. I also have a Moose Valley Photography page on Facebook. :)

      Delete