Friday, March 20, 2015

March 20, 2015 Spring!?

This is pretty recent.  But, that is all gone now.  When this particular spot first piled up, I thought we would have it until June.  But, wind and waves can make short work of the biggest ice piles if the wind direction is right.  We didn't have the interesting ice of last winter............but, then that isn't all bad.  Maybe winter won't last until June this year either!
Here is a shot from that same period of time.  The ice was still on Lake Superior and I always enjoy hiking on the lake ice when it's in!  I also enjoy finding "things" in the ice.  I call this my "ice cobra."  I thought this was very cool coming out of a snow drift.
Here is one more shot from a recent hike on the lake.  I had planned to get this written up when I took them but things kept getting in the way.  It was a gorgeous day, for sure.
Now, here is that same general area yesterday.  The ladies snowshoe/hiking group did this area.  We were minus a few because they were on vacation.  But, we had a wonderful time.  The wind wasn't blowing, for a change.  When Lake Superior is this calm.......without even a ripple, it's a wonderful day.  That doesn't happen very often.  The day was gray and stormy looking tho.  The sun tried its darnedest to come out, but.......never quite made it.  After I had been home an hour or so, it snowed like a sonofagun!
Nothing but peace and contentment, right!  It really was a pretty day to be out......no matter how gray it was.  There is just something about being out hiking on those quiet, peaceful days that makes one feel good.  It seems they are fewer and farther between all the time.  I swear, it really never used to be so darned windy all the time up here.  I guess that makes me enjoy that sort of day all the more.  You notice Betsy there, in the corner of the bay........well, she is starting to think Spring too......and play in the water........and the mud.........  Oh, the things she has to discover this year.  She will be one year old the end of May. 
Then, there are other days........that start out so peaceful..........and then, you get a rude awakening!  This morning was one of those.  It was mostly gray.  No wind.  The dogs and I headed out on a deer trail west of the house heading toward the big hill to the north of us.  The snow is hard these days, in the early morning, so we can walk right on top.  That means easy going for even older, stiff dogs, like Toby.  We had just really gotten going up the old field when the wolves let loose with their howls right on the east side of the house.  I'm not so sure they weren't over on the edge of the clearing there!  Loud!  That was one of those holy #*@% moments......I will tell you right now.  I, as most of you know, have been plenty close to more than enough wolves......too many times to count, with and without dogs.  But, I have never had them that close when they let loose with the howls when I didn't know they were around.  It took about two seconds to decide the dogs were going back to the house as fast as I could get them there.  That was way to many wolves for comfort when I didn't know which way they were going.  I got them back and Toby in.  Then, Betsy and I went back out......on the county road, to continue our walk as she hadn't done her business yet.  I wanted to be able to see what was going on where.  Anyway........Betsy and I continued, uninterrupted, the rest of our morning excursion.  Needless to say, none of our "deer friends" came around for breakfast this morning.  They know when to make themselves scarce. 
I imagine that there will be a few more of those kind of mornings to be had before Spring really arrives in the valley.  Quite a number of the deer have been dispersing lately to parts unknown where they spend most of their year.  I was up the hill a couple of days ago when it was cold enough to walk wherever even later in the day.  When I hit a spot in the full sun, I went to bottom...........but.....I never went more than knee deep.  For mid-March, that isn't bad.  Wolves, like many things......are opportunistic.  Hard snow means easy going and an easier meal.  So, I guess I will be on my guard for the next few weeks. 
Here's one more peaceful shot from earlier this week when I was hiking on another beach with the dogs.  The beach stones sparkling in the water were so pretty on this bright sunny day!  I had to take it. 
Spring is springing.........enjoy!

2 comments: