Monday, October 20, 2014

October 20, 2014 Out and about in the Fall.....before it's gone!

Yesterday, it was such a nice afternoon, I just had to take my dog out "partridge" hunting.  The sun was out and the wind wasn't howling.......does it get any better than that this time of year?!
One of the places we walked by was this beaver pond.  It looked so pretty with the golden grasses swaying in the light breeze.  I never could get the exact shot I wanted because of all the "stuff" beavers leave around the edges.  I am always trying to find these perfectly neat, clean spots along the edges for a photo!  ....well, you can try!  Anyway, it was gorgeous looking across the pond.
Then.....there was this spot.  It looked so cool.  I have played with close-ups of the leaning trees on the left side of this shot....several times.  They make cool abstract shots with the reflections.  Again....always trying for that "clear shot" of them.  Well....you notice a new piece of tree in front of them.  I swear.....I almost wanted to wade out there and drag it out of the way.  But...it wasn't that warm out there!  This particular day, the sky was such it made me wish for a nice metallic print of this.  The water came out in such a way.....it would look fantastic!  But.....for my first "no leaves" shot here, I really liked the looks of this shot.
From here....we got serious about the hunting.  Toby had his swim in the beaver pond and was cooled off.  It was a great day for hiking......however, it didn't turn out to be a good day for finding the birds.
Driving to and from earlier photo ops I had seen some along the roads.  Oh well.....always another day to find a bird.  Any day being out enjoying this fine place we live in is a good day.  I am doing that more and more all the time.  And, even when I think I might have something to grumble about, I try to get back on a positive mode because I am up, out and healthy and can enjoy this.
Lately, in our community, we have had way too much cancer catching up to too many people.  And.....some of them are not all that old.  There seem to be more and more before we barely get over the fact of losing the last friend.  It is sad.  Some of these people are younger than me.......one that hasn't got a good prognosis is much younger.  I could just cry every time I think about her.  I just found out about another neighbor since then too.  It is true that life isn't always fair!  So....I am here to tell you to get out and enjoy your life while you are able.  You never know what another day brings.

Here is another shot from a day earlier last week when I was out taking some late fall color photos on the shore of Lake Superior.  The birches here were still holding quite a few leaves but you can see lots had fallen too.  The section of shoreline I was hiking on had some fantastic late fall color.  I was so impressed with the gorgeous colors that day.  Again, it made me just happy to be alive and out enjoying this.
A lot of the colors left are the golds now.  However, on the shore the wild roses and mt. ash are showing their reds nicely.  The ninebark is another favorite of mine and the oranges and golds they are displaying now are really gorgeous.  Hard to get enough of those fall colors!
Today, however, is one of those grey days that spits misty showers on you off and on all day so you don't get too serious about outside projects.  Toby and I did have a nice long walk on the beach.  The wind is light today and the lake is flat so it was very enjoyable.  I baked cookies and did laundry and all those "house" chores one does while waiting to see if the sun is going to come out.  Not happening today I guess.  I even printed some more nice fall prints both to sell locally and getting some done for the local artisan sale we do just before Christmas each year.  But, I ran out of my 11x14 size photo paper and one of the black inks....which is on order......but....but....well.....you know, things happen.  I guess I should be happy I have gotten so many really nice photos lately.  :)
So, for some of you who haven't seen it......I will give you my website so you can see some of them.  It is  http://sandra-updyke.fineartamerica.com.
Check it out. 

2 comments:

  1. As always, such wonderful views of nature - both your pictures and your outlook on life - Shellie : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have so much to be thankful, don't we? What a fantastic photographer you are . . . but more than just a photographer. Truly an artist!

    ReplyDelete