Monday, February 17, 2014

February 17, 2014 More snow.........again..........

It was a beautiful day yesterday.  Toby and I spent some time hiking on Lake Superior, because we could.  It was only 6 degrees, but it wasn't snowing or blowing and it was heavenly out there.  We haven't had the ice that long....about a week.  My dad always let us out on it after 3 really cold nights when we were kids.  Some of the pilings were all of 4 inches thick.  So, it was safe enough.  Way out there, past those far ice pilings you can see, there were two people way the heck out there.  I would have had second thoughts about that.....being as how some of the ice outside the points has gone in and out a few times.   As long as they are inside the last pilings, I guess they should be safe enough.
Here is Toby along side one of the rock and ice formations.  You can get an idea how big it is.  I really do enjoy walking along side this and looking at the formations.  You miss some of that when you have to stay on shore.  When you get such a nice day with no wind, it doubles the pleasure.
Here, I am out near the end of one of the bays.  The ice pilings were good sized and slick under that fluffy snow.  That is the beauty of fluffy snow isn't it.....it covers everything so you can't see what you are stepping on.  Means now and then you end up on your butt......or someplace else you didn't intend.  I had planned on being out there this morning for shortly after sunrise....after I fed the deer.  However, it has been snowing all day.   All day.....snowing......again!   So, that didn't happen.  The sunrise or really early morning sun on that point with its beautiful ice way high on the cliffs and the ice pilings would be just beautiful.  However, they will probably all be buried before it quits snowing.  Did I tell you.....I am ready for it to quit snowing!  I am.  It's been a long time since I had this much trouble keeping trails open in the winter. 
That brings me to another subject.   Common sense!  Does anybody have it or use it anymore?  Last night, the part time neighbors across the road came up.  They arrived, for the first time for this year, about 9:30 last night.  They don't have their road plowed.  It is a good long way up that hill/mountain to their spot.  A couple of guys have tried it over the years.....but poor road and up hill and corners....doesn't make for nice part time plowing.  So, after lights and flashers had been going on down there for some time....I decided maybe I should go down and see what was going on.  It was almost time for Toby's last trip outside for the evening anyway.  Here, the two guys are getting ready to unload snowmobiles and go in to the  cabin.  I told them about the plow having to go by since they talked about leaving everything there.....on the road.  Well....after I went back up here, they pulled forward in front of our driveway....so they could get over the banks and into theirs......with their snowmobiles.  Well.....that left little room for me to get out of my driveway this morning....had I wanted to.  It's winter.  There are big snowbanks and it's slick.  It takes more room to get out onto the road this time of year.  You gotta wonder......what were they thinkin'.......
Oh well.....beats the other neighbor that tried that last year......with not quite this much snow....about the same time of night....with his 4 wheel drive jeep wagoneer.   He got in....a ways......further than I would have guessed they could make it.  Got stuck!  Sent the kid over here to call for a wrecker.  Next morning, a wrecker came out.  Had to go back and get a plow truck.  He made a couple of trips from town to try and get this turkey out of the snowbank.  They did walk all the way up there, in the dark.  How he ever thought he was going to drive that vehicle all the way up there in all that snow, I will never know.  Again......what were they thinkin'........
So......that is just a couple more reasons for the snow to slow down.  Wildlife is always my issue tho.  I will always handle it.....even if I am sick of handling it.   But......what can the critters do?  We're a heck of a long way til spring yet.
Here is some more nice shore ice I walked along side of yesterday.  Isn't that pretty.  And, I had it all to myself....unlike all those going to Cornucopia  to the ice caves.  I would love to see them.  But, it isn't convenient to go this time of year.   Obligations......to critters.  And, I do love those critters.  :)
Here, we are heading for the parking lot across the lake/bay.  As you can see, Toby is ready!  He has picked up the pace.  But, what a glorious afternoon on the lake.  Hopefully, we will have another one very soon.
Meanwhile....here......it is still snowing.......

No comments:

Post a Comment